Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) also sometimes called oligofructose or oligofructan, are oligosaccharide fructans, used as an alternative sweetener. FOS exhibits sweetness levels between 30 and 50 percent of sugar in commercially prepared syrups.[unreliable source?] It occurs naturally, and its commercial use emerged in the 1980s in response to consumer demand for healthier and calorie-reduced foods.
Functions and Applications
1. Bifidobacteria proliferation factor, and promote intestinal peristalsis, prevent constipation and diarrhea.
2. For high blood lipids, hypertension and arteriosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases have a better improvement.
3. Promote natural vitamins and folic acid formation, enhance immunity and resistance to disease.
4. Protect the liver and prevent chronic diseases and cancer.
5. Promote the body's absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron and other minerals. Promote bone growth and development, and prevent from osteoporosis.