Natamycin, also known as pimaricin, is an antifungal medication used to treat fungal infections around the eye. This includes infections of the eyelids, conjunctiva, and cornea. It is used as eyedrops. Natamycin is also used in the food industry as a preservative.
Natamycin, also known as pimaricin, is an antifungal medication used to treat fungal infections around the eye. This includes infections of the eyelids, conjunctiva, and cornea. It is used as eyedrops. Natamycin is also used in the food industry as a preservative.Allergic reactions may occur. It is unclear if medical use during pregnancy or breastfeeding is safe. It is in the macrolide and polyene families of medications. It results in fungal death by altering the cell membrane.
Natamycin was discovered in 1955 and approved for medical use in the United States in 1978. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system. The wholesale cost in the developing world is between US$92.90 and 126.72 per 5-ml bottle as of 2015. It is produced by fermentation of the bacterium Streptomyces natalensis.
Functions and Applications
1. Natamycin has been used for decades in the food industry as a hurdle to fungal outgrowth in dairy products and other foods.
(1) As an aqueous suspension (such as mixed into a brine) sprayed on the product or into which the product is dipped, or in powdered form (along with an anticaking agent such as cellulose) sprinkled on or mixed into the product.
(2) As a food additive, it has E number E235. Throughout the European Union, it is only approved as a surface preservative for certain cheese and dried sausage products."
2. Natamycin has a good anti-mildew effect on the moon ,baked goods,meat products,salad drinks and other fields.
3. Natamycin is used to treat fungal infections, including Candida, Aspergillus, Cephalosporium, Fusarium, and Penicillium. It is applied topically as a cream, in eye drops, or (for oral infections) in a lozenge.
Preservative Natamycin, Pimaricin, food additives Elaiomycin
2.Quality guaranteed BP/EP/USP
4.Good after service
Natamycin is widely used for preservation in the products such as cheese, bread, bacon, barbecue, sausage,ham,fermented meat,mayonnaise and salad dressing, fermented alcoholic beverages,
fruit juices,soft drinks and energy drinks, fruit products etc.
white or yellowish crystalline powder
+276° --- +280°
10 ppm max
5 ppm max
3 ppm max
1 ppm max
Loss on drying
6.0 - 9.0%
5.0 – 7.5
Total plate count
10 Cfu/g max
Apr. 11, 2022
Mar. 25, 2022